Diffstat (limited to 'Documentation/kdump')
1 files changed, 7 insertions, 5 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt b/Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt
index 68aa1650973a..a9a411d8b978 100644
@@ -301,11 +301,13 @@ For ppc64:
Notes on loading the dump-capture kernel:
* By default, the ELF headers are stored in ELF64 format to support
- systems with more than 4GB memory. The --elf32-core-headers option can
- be used to force the generation of ELF32 headers. This is necessary
- because GDB currently cannot open vmcore files with ELF64 headers on
- 32-bit systems. ELF32 headers can be used on non-PAE systems (that is,
- less than 4GB of memory).
+ systems with more than 4GB memory. On i386, kexec automatically checks if
+ the physical RAM size exceeds the 4 GB limit and if not, uses ELF32.
+ So, on non-PAE systems, ELF32 is always used.
+ The --elf32-core-headers option can be used to force the generation of ELF32
+ headers. This is necessary because GDB currently cannot open vmcore files
+ with ELF64 headers on 32-bit systems.
* The "irqpoll" boot parameter reduces driver initialization failures
due to shared interrupts in the dump-capture kernel.